CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Why I haven't started packing yet

I've gotten a bunch of emails from my traveling buddies talking about how far along they are in their travel preparations. They've been filling our forms, gathering donations, creating piles of items to bring, etc. What have I done? Nothing. Want to know why? Because I have a crazy horse.

Get this. I go up on Monday evening to turn her out into the arena for a quick run. She's acting a bit sassy (normal for her). She's running around at breakneck speed, snorting, doing little mini bucks... She seems to be focused on the horses in the nearby stalls although they are paying her no mind. She takes off in another circle, stops short at the fence and then all of a sudden jumps over it.

Well, tries to jump over it is more like it.

She actually a fairly short horse and manages to get three legs over it but the rear left leg gets caught in between the two fence panels. She falls to the ground on her back while she's hanging from her wedged rear leg.



I'm screaming for help as it's late and only two little kids are around. Luckily they belong to Sara, the manager of the stable, and she comes out fairly quickly. She assesses the situation and quickly figures out it will not be easy to get her out since she is on her back and we'd have to lift her in order to get her leg unstuck. And since she is around 1000 pounds, that's none to feasible without some type of winch which we don't have.

Lucky again that my horse Kona is being relatively calm considering she is in a precarious and dangerous situation. I'm fairly calm only because Kona isn't panicking much. Sara is calm because she is used to dealing with crazy stuff having been around horses all her life. Other folks start arriving and it becomes mayhem. It's like the keystone cops with everyone shouting opinions and trying to shovel, pull the fence out, do something. We're shoving stuff under her to keep fer from slipping more - anything we can find - blankets, boards, a car jack. Meanwhile the vet has arrived and given Kona a sedative.

The vet realized we need to call in reinforcements and calls the fire department. They arrive en masse with sirens blaring and about 15 firemen in full uniform.The vet puts Kona under and tells the fire department they have 10 minutes to get her out. A fireman pulls out the biggest saw I have ever seen and starts cutting into the fence around her. I can't even begin to put into words how crazy it all was. It was like a scene out of some Discover Channel animal rescue show. There's around 10 of us surrounding Kona trying to keep her aloft and the fence from falling over from her weight. As he starts cutting, spark are showering Kona and all of us. In about 90 seconds, he's cut the fence away and she's free.



The good news is that she is alive and didn't shatter her leg. She's up and walking and even bearing weight. The bad news is that we're not sure how much damage she did to the leg but chances are she is going to have a long rehabilitation. I've been having to go up there twice a day to administer meds and wrap her leg so haven't had too much time to think about packing and Fiori related stuff.

Stupid horse.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a crazy situation. I have horses, and I know they can get into some wild situations! Last winter our little colt walked out onto the middle of the somewhat-frozen pond, and then fell through (he survived and is fine now). That was quite a deal, but nothing like your predicament! Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Wow what a day!
Yep we have had horses and like kids they make parents worry sick about them...glad she is ok and on the mend. Maybe she was still freaked out over the earthquake? Our neighbors horses were for a few days afterwards they kept telling us.

Kathleen

Unknown said...

Nikko that looks really scary! Sorry for your extra stress / worries..

I always side w/ the animals...he didnt mean it..he would say he is sorry for causing you grief if he could :(

A brief bio: said...

Oh my goodness! What a story!! What a horse!!! I am glad all is ok, Crystal Tower

Anonymous said...

OMG! I almost freaked out looking at those pictures. The fact that you held it together should show you what a great Mommy you're gonna be to Fiori. ;-) I would have been asking the vet to give me some horsey sedative too!

Rebecca said...

Wow, girl. I was wondering where you were. Poor Kona. She must've been "feeling her oats"....
The good thing tho is....15 firemen!!!! Holy crap...why didn't you call me???? That song "it's raining men" is going thru my head right now. :)

Laurie said...

Holy crap, Nikko! You could have filmed the whole event for an animal rescue show. Thank God Kona is going to be okay. You'll be fine packing for ET, and I'll bet you're glad this happened now as opposed to after you get home and have your hands full with little Fiori!

Anonymous said...

Oh my FRICKIN' God! That would have scared the shite outta me - you poor thing! So glad she is OK (and super cute by the way).

Yikes.