CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 16, 2007

I'm on a mission

I recently finished reading a wonderful book called There is No Me Without You as well as the incredible article by the same author which I mentioned in my earlier post. Just yesterday, I read on a Yahoo adoption group a plea for medical supplies for one of the orphanages mentioned in the book. I am only taking one suitcase to Africa so have sent out a call for donations to fill my free luggage space. I posted on the Berkeley Parent's Network a few hours ago and have already received many offers of supplies and one woman even wanted the total list so she could have it to go shopping. It is so heartwarming to know people out there really like to help when given the chance.

Since the orphanage in question is for HIV+ children, I even got some offers for AIDS medication and hardcore medical supplies. I was pretty much ready to mobilize a full charge brigade with all kinds of life saving items when I called the orphanage's US office and they said they can't accept HIV meds since they are strictly controlled by the government and NGOs. I can only hope they are given enough medication as for years, third world nations couldn't afford the pricey and patented drugs and the pharmaceutical companies didn't believe in charity. In any case, I'm now having to curb my overzealous enthusiasm, at least for now.

No comments: