CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 22, 2008

When it rains it pours

Fiori is going to daycare today for the first time for a whole day. Up until now, she has been doing 5 hours per day, 4 days a week. But today and tomorrow, she is going for the full day and it may need to become a permanent thing.

You see...for those of you that don't know, I am a real estate appraiser and my work has been dead, dead, dead for months now. Which was nice as I could spend a bunch of time with Fiori when she got home. But it got old really quick with so little income; and we live in the SF Bay Area so I can't afford to be a SAHM. So I have been doing a bunch of marketing and have obtained some new clients. It was just starting to get a little busy when the mortgage rates plummeted. So now everyone and their mother (at least everyone who isn't upside down on their house) wants to refinance and I have gone from having 3-5 appraisals per month to 2-3 per day. Yikes.

To boot, I have been looking at going back to my old life as a product manager in high tech due to the deadness in the real estate market (and I admit because I miss the stimulation). So I had been sending out applications and last week I got an interview with a startup in Berkleley right at the time when my current work went crazy. I did well in the interview and they want me to come in for a second round. So *if* I get offered the job, I am in a total quandary.

Do I stay where I am since things are (currently) busy, I get to work from home and the work is fairly easy?

Do I go back to high tech because I miss it, the longer I am out the harder it is to get back in and because my current level of work may be only short term?

Hmmmmm.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That is such a tough call! Not a bad predicament to be in though. I was a business analyst in the tech industry until 1 1/2 years ago when we adopted our first child. I had never not worked in my life. I often wonder at what point I would have a hard time jumping back it. Good luck making your decision. It's a hard one!